Invitations to Bid
Sealed Bid 20170001- City Council Chamber
The Purchasing Department, the City’s centralized purchasing authority, is responsible for the vast majority of the City’s acquisitions and purchases. It is responsible for obtaining the proper equipment, materials, and services needed to run our City efficiently.
The City solicits goods and services through various forms and levels, as provided for in the Rhode Island General Laws:
+ Sealed Bids – Generally, competitive sealed bids are used for goods or services expected to exceed $5,000.00 or construction projects over $10,000, unless it is in the City’s best interests to do otherwise, as allowed by the Central Falls Home Rule Charter and State Purchasing laws. Sealed bids are solicited by an Invitation to Bid as advertised on the city or state's website.
+ Competitive negotiations, pursuant to § 45-55-6 and city purchasing regulations.
+ Non-competitive negotiations, pursuant to §§ 45-55-7 and 45-55-8 and city purchasing regulations.
+ Small purchase procedures, pursuant to § 45-55-9 and city purchasing regulations.
+ Qualification based selection (QBS) process for architects/engineers pursuant to § 45-55-8.1 and city purchasing regulations.
+ Sole source procurement and emergency procurement, pursuant to § 45-55-8 and city purchasing regulations.
+ Appointment or retention of attorneys and medical personnel are discretionary pursuant to § 45-55-14.
Bid results are reviewed by the requesting Department, which then recommends to the Purchasing Department an award to a particular vendor. The City reserves the right to accept or reject any or all bids and to waive any informalities in bids if it is deemed in the best interests of the City to do so.
Bid Closing Procedures
After a bid is opened, the Department requiring the goods or services makes a determination as to the lowest evaluated or responsive bidder in the case of merchandise, or the highest qualified firm in the case of services. The Department then makes a recommendation to the Purchasing Agent and Purchasing Board, who, ultimately, awards a bid. The successful vendor is then notified of the award, and of any further requirement or meetings, prior to a relevant Purchase Order (goods) or Contract (services) being written and formally executed.
Bid Protest Procedures
Upon receipt of a formal bid protest the following procedures apply:
- Review of submitted packages from all parties involved in claim by the Purchasing Agent to determine which points of the claim, if any have "Standing."
- Determine if the claim involves any of the following: (a) Procedure (as outlined RIGL); (b) Technical Defect; (c) Informality in Bid Response.
- The right is reserved, as the interest of the City may require, to reject any or all bids, to waive any technical defect or informality in bids received, and to accept or reject any bid or portion thereof.
- If the determination of the Purchasing Agent is an instance that can be waived (procedure 3 above), the Purchasing Agent will do so in writing to all parties involved.
- If claim is found to have standing, a written assessment of the review is provided by the Purchasing Agent to the City Solicitor for review.
- The City Solicitor will advise the Purchasing Agent of any recommendations, with documentation to the bid file.
- Award or Re-bid depending on received recommendations. The Purchasing Agent will inform parties as necessary.
The City of Central Falls is exempt from federal, state, and local taxes. A sales tax exemption certificate will be furnished upon request.
No Gift Policy
City employees are not allowed to accept gifts from vendors. This includes paying for meals. If you customarily send a token of appreciation to your customers, the City asks that you please not send any item to City employees or offices. There are many worthy organizations in our community that would be happy to receive such items and will be able to see that they go to people in need. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
The city's purchasing agent is Sonia Grace: email@example.com or (401) 727-7400.