CBDG English

Business Microenterprise Stabilization Grant (MicroE) Program

The City of Central Falls, with Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds provided by the R. I. Office of Housing and Community Development (OHCD) and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), is offering working capital grants of $5,000 to qualifying small business microenterprises adversely impacted by COVID-19. Central Falls has a limited number of grants to distribute, which will be given to businesses on a first-come first-served basis, based on when completed documents are received.

Information Sheet:

Download a document containing this information HERE.

Uses of Funds: Funds may be used for working capital to cover business costs, such as rent, staffing, and utilities. MicroE funds may not be used for major equipment purchases, purchase of real property, construction activities, business expansion, or lobbying.

Eligible Businesses:

The grants in this program are specifically designed for microenterprises, which means two-five (2-5) employees, with one of those employees being the owner.

Each microenterprise owner’s gross annual family income may not be higher than the amounts below, based on family size and city/town where you live (not where your business is located).

Businesses must meet the following eligibility criteria:

1. Be a microenterprise, as defined above

2. The income of all owners’ families must be below the amounts listed in the chart

3. Be a for-profit entity (sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations, or LLCs)

4. Have a physical establishment in Central Falls (not just a P.O. box)

5. Provide goods or services to multiple clients or customers

6. Be in good standing with the state and city

          a. Be current on all taxes due through 3/1/2020

          b. Active and valid state and city licenses/registrations, if applicable

          c. Not a party to litigation involving the state or city

7. Be able to document a loss of income of at least $1,000 due to COVID-19

8. Have been established prior to 1/1/2019

9. Have annual gross revenues greater than $25,000

10. Have at least two employees, including the owner(s)

11. Have not received monies, or award/approval from the United States Small Business Administration (SBA) Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) or the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) at time of application

12. Not be listed under the excluded business types, as amended (see below)

Ineligible Businesses

The following types of businesses are not eligible for this program:

· cannabis-related businesses;

· real estate rentals/sales businesses;

· home-based businesses with no employees;

· businesses owned by persons under age 18;

· businesses that are franchises or chains;

· liquor stores;

· weapons/firearms dealers;

· lobbyists;

· persons operating as independent consultants/contractors and providing services to a single entity;

· home-based businesses that are restricted to patrons below the age of 18;

· businesses owned by students over the age of 18, unless the student owner is the sole means of financial support for other family members

Required Documents:

To apply, you will need to provide the following:

1. Driver’s License or State-issued photo ID

2. Personal tax returns for all adults filing separately in your household for either 2018 or 2019

3. Business tax returns for either 2018 or 2019

4. Copies of payrolls for most recent pay period and a pay period ending on/before 3/7/2020

5. Copies of receipts for impacted period in 2020 (March) and the same period in 2018 and 2019.


If you think you are eligible, please download and complete the following forms:

1. Application Form

2. Application Checklist

3. Conflict of Interest Disclosure Form

4. MicroE Certification Form

5. MicroE Consent and Release Form

6. Family Income Self-Certification Form


Once your forms are complete, please call the Central Falls Planning Department to set up an interview by phone. Interviews cannot be conducted until your forms are complete and documents have been collected.

General Planning Number: 401-727-7480. Email to [email protected]


After speaking with staff by phone, you will directed on how to submit your application and materials.

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.