Coronavirus & COVID-19 Update
1. The Central Falls Municipal Court is canceling the currently scheduled April 21, 2020 court date (this was a rescheduled date). All citations that were originally scheduled for March 24, 2020 will be continued to June 16, 2020 and all citations originally scheduled for April 7, 2020 will be rescheduled to June 30, 2020. All new summonses/citations issued by the Central Falls Police Department that will be heard by the Municipal Court are being scheduled in July 2020.
1. El Tribunal Municipal de Central Falls está cancelando la fecha del tribunal programada para el 21 de abril de 2020 (esta fue una fecha reprogramada). Todas las citas programadas originalmente para el 24 de marzo de 2020 continuarán hasta el 16 de junio de 2020 y todas las citas programadas originalmente para el 7 de abril de 2020 se reprogramarán al 30 de junio de 2020. Todas las nuevas citaciones y citas emitidas por el Departamento de Policía de Central Falls que será escuchado por el Tribunal Municipal están programados para julio de 2020.
GOOD DRIVING RECORD DISMISSAL POLICY
In compliance with the current National, State and Local COVID-19 protocols and restrictions in place, the Central Falls Municipal Court has adopted the following temporary procedure:
Motorists who qualify for and wish to utilize their good driving record under the Good Driving Record Dismissal Statute (RIGL 31-41.1-7), may do so by signing and mailing the enclosed form to the Clerk along with the State Mandated Court Costs of $60. Mailed payments must be in the form of check or money order to:
Central Falls Municipal Court
160 Illinois Street
Central Falls, RI 02863
If you are not eligible for the Good Driving Record Dismissal, but wish to pay your fines, you may also mail in your payment (via check or money order) with the citation information to the address listed above. Be advised that if you choose to pay your fine and do not qualify for a Good Driving Record Dismissal, you will be foregoing your right to a trial and a guilty plea will be entered on your behalf. If you wish to plead Not Guilty, then you must appear on the Court date previously assigned. Please note that all citations originally scheduled for March 24, 2020 will now be heard on June 16, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. and all matters originally scheduled for April 7, 2020 will be heard on June 30, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. All Court sessions will take place at the Central Falls City Hall, 580 Broad Street, Central Falls, RI 02863. YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL MANDATED PROTOCOLS INCLUDING WEARING A MASK AND MAINTAINING SOCIAL DISTANCE. IF YOU DO NOT FEEL WELL AND ARE SHOWING ANY SYMPTOMS, PLEASE CONTACT THE CLERK AT 401-616-2557 TO RESCHEDULE YOUR COURT DATE.
If you are unsure whether you qualify for a dismissal under the Good Driving Statute, kindly contact our clerk, Nathalie Benway, at 401-616-2557 or NBenway@cfpd.centralfallsri.gov and she will assist you. Please note that there is a dropbox located in the lobby of the Central Falls Police Department in the event that you prefer to drop off your payment (in the form of check or money order) with the enclosed form at any time.
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR SUMMONS NUMBER ON ALL CHECK AND MONEY ORDER PAYMENTS TO ENSURE THAT YOUR PAYMENT IS PROPERLY CREDITED. YOU MAY CONTACT THE CLERK TO CONFIRM SAME.
About the Court
The Central Falls Municipal Court is authorized by RIGL § 45-2.27 and Chapter 14 of the Central Falls Code of Ordinances.
The Municipal Court hears various cases including the following: traffic and parking offenses, violations of the mimimum housing code statute and the violation of any ordinance. The Municipal Court may impose a sentence not to exceed thirty (30) days in jail and impose a fine not in excess of five hundred dollars ($500), or both. The court is empowered to administer oaths, compel the attendance of witnesses, and punish persons for contempt, and to execute search warrants to the extent the warrants could be executed by a judge of the district court.
The Municipal Court Judge is Raymond Cooney and the Associate Municipal Court (Housing Court) Judge is Robert McConnell.
Municipal Court Sessions
Municipal Court sessions are held on alternate Tuesday evenings at 6:00PM in the City Council Chambers at City Hall. Cases are heard by appointment only and are scheduled by the court. Proper attire is required and cell phones must be turned off during court.
Municipal Housing Court
The next session of the Central Falls Municipal Housing Court will be held on August 12, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. at the Department of Code Enforcement and Zoning, 1280 High Street, Central Falls, Rhode Island. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, only those individuals with business before the Court may attend the session; however, if you would like to watch the Housing Court via Zoom, a link will be provided on this page prior to Court on August 12.
All parties who appear at Housing Court must abide by the following rules:
- All parties attending Court must wear a mask;
- Only one individual will be allowed into the Housing Court at a time, once your case is over you must exit the Court before the next party enters;
- All those waiting to be heard by the Court must stand outside, six feet apart, and will be called into Court by the Court Clerk when their case is ready to be heard;
- The Court will be closed to all others, but will be broadcasted via Zoom.
If you have received a summons, but cannot attend or do not wish to attend the hearing due to a COVID-19 related issue, please contact (401) 727-7460 in order to reschedule your case to a future date.
Court begins on time - prepare to have signed in and taken a seat by 6:00PM. Cell phone use is prohibited in the court room. Please turn off your phone or set it to silent mode. If you must use your phone, remove yourself from the court room first. Proper Attire is required - no shorts, tank tops, etc. Payments are due upon judgment. Although fines vary (see your summons), there is an additional $35.00 court cost per infraction fee. Payments may be made by check or money order (made payable to: City of Central Falls).
Payment of court fees is due at the time of judgment. The Central Falls Municipal Court does not accept credit cards, debit cards, or electronic payments. Payment may be made by cash, check, or money order. All returned checks will be assessed an additional $25 fee.
Municipal Court - Please contact Municipal Court Clerk Natalie Benway at the Central Falls Police Department located at 160 Illinois St. in Central Falls, RI 02863 or via the phone at (401) 616-2557 or via email at NBenway at CentralFallsRI.us.
Housing Court - Please contact Housing Court Clerk Venuz Madrid at the Central Falls Code Enforcement Department located at 1280 High Street in Central Falls, RI 02863 or via the phone at (401) 727-7460 or via email at Cenforce@centralfallsri.us.