The Central Falls Law Department is not only defending the City of Central Falls from lawsuits; it is also affirmatively using civil litigation to protect and benefit the people of Central Falls.
The Central Falls "Wyatt" Detention Facility Corporation
- NEW Attorney General Peter Neronha rules in favor of Central Falls in finding that the Wyatt violated the Open Meetings Act.
- NEW City of Central Falls "Open Meetings Act" complaint against the Wyatt Corporation
- NEW Correspondence in response to threat of litigation letter involving UMB Bank and the Central Falls Wyatt Detention Facilities Corporation.
- Wyatt Detention Center Receivership Litigation results in 2015 Forbearance Agreement with proposed $200,000 annual payments to Central Falls
In Support of DACA
- Amicus filing to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in State of Texas, et al. v. United States of America, et al.
- Amicus filing to the U.S. Supreme Court in support of a petition for a writ of certiorari in State of Texas, et al. v. United States of America, et al.
In Support of Marriage Equality
Opposing President Trump's Immigration Orders
- Amicus filing to the U.S. District Court in State of Washington, et al., v. Donald J. Trump, et al.
- Motion in the U.S. District Court for Leave to File as Amici Curiae in State of Hawai'i et al., v. Donald J. Trump, et al.
- Amicus filing in the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in International Refugee Assistance Project, et al., v. Donald J. Trump, et al. Here is the 4th Circuit opinion affirming the bulk of the Maryland preliminary injunction and denying the request for a stay.
- Amicus filing in the Supreme Court of the United States in International Refugee Assistance Project, et al., v. Donald J. Trump, et al.
- Amicus filing in the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in International Refugee Assistance Project, et al., v. Donald J. Trump, et al.
Federal Lawsuit Opposing Citizenship Question on the Census
- State Of New York, City of Central Falls, City of Providence, et al v. United States Department of Commerce lawsuit opposing the federal government's attempt to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census.
- OPINION from the United States Supreme Court - the application for stay presented to JUSTICE GINSBURG and by her referred to the Court is granted in part and denied in part. Read Opinion here. Analysis from SCOTUSblog here.
- NEW DECISION from the Southern District of New York vacating Secretary Ross's decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census, enjoining Defendants from implementing his decision or from otherwise adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census without curing the legal defects identified in the Court's Opinion, and remanding the matter to the Secretary for further action not inconsistent with the Courts Opinion.
Federal Lawsuit Opposing Immigration Restrictions on Police Funding
- City of Providence and City of Central Falls v. Jefferson B. Sessions III, et al opposing the Department of Justice's imposition of immigration conditions on Byrne JAG funding for police departments.
- Stipulation of the Parties that the deadline to accept the award is extended while the litigation is pending
- Stipulation of the Parties relative to FY 18 Byrne JAG grant for Central Falls
- Stipulation of the Parties relative to a timeline for filing briefs
- Amended Complaint filed by Providence and Central Falls.
- NEW MEMORANDUM OF LAW IN SUPPORT OF PLAINTIFFS’ MOTION FOR PARTIAL SUMMARY JUDGMENT (FY 2017 BYRNE JAG PROGRAM)
- NEW Amicus filing in the Rhode Island Superior Court in Mahfound Abdella, et. al., v. Town of Johnston in support of the authority of Rhode Island municipalities to license and regulate tobacco products.
- City of Central Falls Comment in opposition to DHS Docket No. USCIS-2010-0012 regarding the proposed change to the “public charge” rule.